Title: Scientist, Machine Learning
Location: Currently San Ramon, CA; Q3 2018 SF Peninsula TBD
Machine Learning Scientist Opportunity
RubrYc is now building our foundational R&D team, and we have an opening for a Machine Learning Scientist to join the team.
Reporting Relationship: V.P. Technology
Main Roles & Responsibilities
Information-driven discovery is the future of RubrYc Therapeutics. As a Machine Learning Scientist at RubrYc, you will develop a critical aspect of our therapeutic discovery platform. This development will link your machine learning expertise and ideas with an extensive chemical knowledge base and laboratory-based validation. The results of your work will be used to engineer molecules that ultimately produce new therapeutics in a highly efficient, information-driven manner and move RubrYc towards a future of in silico molecular discovery.
As part of the Technology Development team, you will work closely with the Therapeutic Discovery team to test your computationally based findings in the laboratory. You will then use these laboratory results to further improve the knowledge base and machine learning aspects of our discovery platform.
- Design and continually innovate a machine learning pipeline to inform therapeutic discovery
- Identify molecular features that are correlated to biological activity from our comprehensive knowledge base
- Assist with laboratory experimental design to validate and/or train machine learning algorithms
- Inform the Therapeutic Discovery team on computational findings that improve their chemical library designs and laboratory screens
- Identify new areas where machine learning could improve therapeutic discovery
- Innovate and develop the machine learning pipeline towards the goal of in silico molecular screening
The candidate must be highly innovative, energetic and willing to take calculated risks. He or she will bring a creative, innovative energy to the team and contribute to the cross-disciplinary thought leadership RubrYc has established. The candidate must be comfortable in a small and fast-paced startup.
- Outstanding communication and organizational skills
- Creative and curious out of the box thinker—leading implementation of new approaches and capable of rigorously prioritizing adoption of new techniques
- Go-getter self starter who can take initiative
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills
- Ability to work in a collegial manner, a team player
- Highly tolerant and respectful of all members of a small startup company
- Focused and goal-oriented, yet flexible enough to deal with unanticipated challenges and opportunities
Educational Requirements and Experience
- Ph.D. degree in Computer Science, Mathematics or related Machine Learning field
- Experience with biological data sets
- Demonstrated application of machine learning to solve problems
- Strong software skills related to training and evaluating machine learning performance with large data sets
Ideal Technical Skills & Experience
- Experience with therapeutic screening data sets
- Experience with analyzing high-dimensionality data
- Experience with cloud-based machine learning
- Experience with molecular descriptors
- Basic understanding of molecular simulation/dynamics
- Experience with reading/writing data to databases
We offer a competitive salary, commensurate of a young startup in Silicon Valley, plus meaningful stock option allocations and benefits.
Corporate Culture at RubrYc
We are a small venture-backed startup. The company environment is friendly and informal, and non-hierarchical. Our corporate culture is rigorous science and innovation, and we believe in continuous growth and learning. We strive for excellence in performance and quality of work, and at the same time, we believe in maintaining a healthy work/life balance.