Title: Scientist--Protein Engineering
Location: San Carlos, CA
Join an exciting venture-backed startup in San Carlos with a novel drug discovery platform. This is an opportunity to have a significant impact as you build a lead cutting-edge platform that integrates chemical diversity, biological activity, comprehensive knowledge bases and machine learning to produce best-in-class antibody therapeutics.
Located in San Carlos, RubrYc Therapeutics was founded to revolutionize traditional approaches to therapeutic discovery. Our core mission is to continually innovate at the intersection of chemistry, biology and data science to produce best-in-class therapeutics. Driven by information, RubrYc designs and deploys proprietary molecular libraries that participate in millions of interactions with candidate antibodies. We evaluate these interactions across a range of conditions that reflect molecular physiology and pathology. By aggregating laboratory measured interaction data with structural simulation, deep learning and proprietary algorithms, we gain unprecedented insights into the interfaces of antibodies and their targets.
Scientist, Protein Engineering Opportunity
RubrYc is now building our foundational R&D team, and we have an opening for a Senior Research Associate, Protein Engineer to join the team.
Main Roles & Responsibilities
The Scientist, Protein Engineering will be part of Therapeutic Antibodies R&D division of RubrYc Therapeutics. This employee will be a member of a cross-disciplinary team in support of new applications of RubrYc’s peptide array technology to antibody characterization for discovery of novel and highly differentiated therapeutics, biomarkers and measurements of response to therapy, adverse event prediction or monitoring.
- Generate antibody hits using phage, yeast or other display methods.
- Support analytical and biophysical characterization of proteins and antibody hits using HPLC (IEX, SEC, affinity etc), protein interactions (Biacore, Octet and other biosensor platforms), immunoassays (ELISA, Luminex and other platforms)
- Run basic protein characterization experiments such as electrophoresis (native and/or SDS-PAGE, western blots, 2D gels) and protein quantitation (spectroscopy UV/Vis, fluorescence).
- Support protein and antibody small-scale purification (AKTA, BioRad, etc equipments)
- Support recombinant and transient expression of antibodies and proteins efforts using different expression systems
- Interface with collaborators and/or customers on assigned projects
- Participate in the preparation of technical reports, summaries, protocols, and presentations
- Provide update of project status at periodic project review meetings
The position requires the ability to work in a team, reporting to a Senior/Principal Scientist, and working largely unsupervised.
- Demonstrated strong work ethic, curiosity to learn and contribute in a fast-paced collaborative environment
- Excellent communication and organizational skills
- Go-getter self starter who can take initiative
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills
- Ability to work in a collegial manner, a team player
- Highly tolerant and respectful of all members of a small startup company
Ideal Educational Requirements and Experience
- At least 4 years of academic/industry experience in protein and antibody engineering with demonstrated hands-on expertise in the field of protein science and immunoassays is preferred
- BS degree with 6-8 years, or MS degree with 4-6 years’ experience in Structural Biology, Biophysics, Biochemistry, Molecular Biology or related field
- Candidates with Ph.D. degrees in biochemistry, biophysics or a related biomedical area are also welcome to apply for this opportunity and would have responsibilities commensurate with their background and experience
Technical Skills and Qualifications
- Prior experience with protein and antibody expression from prokaryotic or eukaryotic systems is required
- Prior experience in protein purification and characterization using a variety of analytical and biophysical techniques
- Hands-on expertise should include molecular biology and protein biochemistry, screening protein libraries, ELISA, biosensor, and/or other biochemical and cell based assays
- Hands-on experience in running basic protein chemistry assays unsupervised
- Skilled in computer applications and proficient in using a variety of computer hardware
We offer a competitive salary, commensurate of a young startup in Silicon Valley, plus meaningful stock option allocations and benefits.
Corporate Culture at RubrYc
We are a small venture-backed startup. The company environment is friendly and informal, and non-hierarchical. Our corporate culture is rigorous science and innovation, and we believe in continuous growth and learning. We strive for excellence in performance and quality of work, and at the same time, we believe in maintaining a healthy work/life balance.
If you are interested in this opportunity, please send a copy of your resume to: email@example.com or apply through www.rubryc.com