Title: Research Associate, Analytical & Protein Biochemistry (Temporary)
Location: San Carlos, CA
Join an exciting venture-backed startup with a novel drug discovery platform. This is an opportunity to have a significant impact as you build a lead cutting-edge platform that integrates chemical diversity, biological activity, comprehensive knowledge bases and machine learning to produce best-in-class antibody therapeutics.
Research Associate, Analytical & Protein Biochemistry Opportunity
RubrYc is now building our foundational R&D team, and we have an opening for a Research Associate, Protein Engineer to join the team. The position is temporary, with the possibility of becoming full-time at a later date.
Main Roles & Responsibilities
The Research Associate, Analytical & Protein Biochemistry will be part of Therapeutic Antibodies R&D division of RubrYc Therapeutics. This employee will be a member of a cross-disciplinary team in support of new applications of RubrYc’s peptide array technology to antibody characterization for discovery of novel and highly differentiated therapeutics, biomarkers and measurements of response to therapy, adverse event prediction or monitoring.
- Work in close collaboration with other members of the team in the characterization of therapeutic antibodies using RubrYc’s high density peptide array platform.
- Run basic protein characterization experiments such as electrophoresis (native and/or SDS-PAGE, western blots, 2D gels) and protein quantitation (spectroscopy UV/Vis, fluorescence).
- Expertise with ELISA, cytokine measurements, and cell culture techniques
- Support analytical and biophysical characterization of proteins and antibodies using HPLC (IEX, SEC, affinity etc.), protein interactions (Octet and other biosensor platforms)
- Support protein and antibody small-scale purification (AKTA, BioRad, etc. equipment)
- Support recombinant and transient expression of antibodies and proteins efforts using different expression systems
- Knowledge of Flow Cytometry and analysis of immune cells
- Participate in the preparation of technical reports, summaries, protocols, and presentations
- Provide update of project status at periodic project review meetings
The position requires the ability to work in a team, reporting to a Ph.D. level scientist, and working largely unsupervised.
- Demonstrated strong work ethic, curiosity to learn and contribute in a fast-paced collaborative environment
- Excellent communication and organizational skills
- Go-getter self-starter who can take initiative
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills
- Ability to work in a collegial manner, a team player
- Highly tolerant and respectful of all members of a small startup company
Ideal Educational Requirements and Experience
- At least 6-8 years of academic/industry experience in protein and antibody engineering with demonstrated hands-on expertise in the field of protein science and immunoassays is preferred
- BS (or MS with 6 years’ experience) degree in Structural biology, Biophysics, Biochemistry, Molecular Biology or related field
Technical Skills & Qualifications
- Prior experience in antibody analytical characterization techniques to investigate size, charge and other heterogeneities is required
- Experience with protein and antibody expression from prokaryotic or eukaryotic systems is required, with a deep knowledge of molecular biology
- Prior experience in protein purification and characterization using a variety of analytical and biophysical techniques, including biosensors/SPR
- Hands-on expertise should include analytical chemistry, protein biochemistry, screening protein phage or similar libraries, ELISA, and/or other biochemical and cell-based assays
- Experience in multiparameter flow cytometric analysis and corresponding software for data analysis will be highly desirable
- Experience in basic cellular immunology assays such as ELISPOT, cytotoxicity and/or proliferation would be desirable.
- Skilled in computer applications and proficient in using a variety of computer hardware
We offer competitive compensation, commensurate with experience and similar to that of a young startup in Silicon Valley.
Corporate Culture at RubrYc
We are a small venture-backed startup. The company environment is friendly and informal, and non-hierarchical. Our corporate culture is rigorous science and innovation, and we believe in continuous growth and learning. We strive for excellence in performance and quality of work, and at the same time, we believe in maintaining a healthy work/life balance.
If you are interested in this opportunity, please send a copy of your resume and cover letter to: email@example.com