Title: Principal Scientist - Protein Sciences
Location: San Carlos, CA
Join an exciting venture-backed startup in San Carlos with a novel drug discovery platform. This is an opportunity to have a significant impact as you support a cutting-edge platform that integrates epitope diversity, biological activity, comprehensive knowledge bases and machine learning to produce best-in-class antibody therapeutics.
Located in San Carlos, RubrYc Therapeutics was founded to revolutionize traditional approaches to therapeutic antibody discovery. Our core mission is to continually innovate at the intersection of biology and data science to produce best-in-class therapeutics. Driven by information, RubrYc designs and deploys proprietary Meso Scale Engineered Molecules (MEMs), which recapitulate the structural and molecular dynamics of specific epitopes within a target antigen. By aggregating laboratory measured interaction data with structural simulation, deep learning and proprietary algorithms, we gain unprecedented insights into the interfaces of antibodies and their targets.
The Position: Principal Scientist – Protein Sciences
RubrYc’s epitope-selective antibody discovery platform is currently being used to identify bio-superiors, and to target “undruggable” target classes. This Principal Scientist position, reporting to the Chief Science Officer, will be a key member of the Protein Sciences team and a critical member of RubrYc’s internal and partnered program teams. The successful applicant will translate molecules discovered in the Platform group into transformative therapies in autoimmune and oncology indications. This role will include Molecular Biology for making expression constructs for our mono- and bi-specific antibodies, managing the workflow for transfection and purification of antibodies and their detailed Bioanalytical characterization. In addition, for qualified candidates, this role will have the opportunity to lead a program in oncology or immunology setting from conception to the clinic.
- Development and performance of efficient processes and workflows for production of RubrYc’s mono- and bispecific antibodies
- Leadership of bioanalytical characterization of MEMs, scFv’s and IgG’s derived from in vitro selection protocols using HPLC, CE, Bioacore/Octet, DSF
- Evaluation and implementation of new technologies such as mammalian display and single cell sorting, wherever needed for higher throughput discovery, production and characterization of screening output (scFv’s, IgG’s)
- Management internal resources and external vendors for generating key analytical data for hits, leads and candidates for internal and/or partnered programs
- Knowledge of, or experience in, working as part of teams involved in mono- and/or bispecific antibody discovery using various in vivo or display based technologies
- Document and organize data in ELN, generate technical reports for patent and IND filing, and present findings to project teams and at conferences.
Technical Skills and Qualifications
- The ideal candidate should have a PhD with at least 5-10 years of experience in a post-doctoral or industry setting related to protein sciences focused on biologics, particularly mono- and bi-specific antibodies
- Must have understanding and hands-on experience working with standard protein production using transfection of mammalian cells (CHO/HEK) and purification protocols using FPLC instrumentation (Akta Avant) for antibodies
- Expert knowledge of analytical instrumentation such as HPLC, DSF and CE
- Familiarity with biophysical techniques for measuring binding affinity/avidity – such as Octet, Biacore and/or Kinexa
- Experience working with CROs/CDMOs for technical method transfer for manufacturing of antibodies
- Experience with and contributions to generation of IP relating to selections and screens with display based formats such as phage, yeast or mammalian display
- Experience leading programs in a biotech/pharma setting preferred
- Excellent interpersonal, organizational, and oral/written communication skills with ability to thrive in a goal driven team environment is required.
The candidate must be highly innovative, energetic and willing to take calculated risks. He or she will bring a creative, innovative energy to the team and contribute to the cross-disciplinary thought leadership RubrYc has established. The candidate must be comfortable in a small and fast-paced startup.
- Ability to work in a collegial manner, a team player
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing in an inter disciplinary environment
- Go-getter self-starter who can take initiative
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills
- Highly tolerant and respectful of all members of a small startup company
- Focused and goal-oriented, yet flexible enough to deal with unanticipated challenges and opportunities
- Pro-active and positive attitude to thrive in a start-up environment
We offer a competitive salary, commensurate of a young startup in Silicon Valley, plus meaningful stock option allocations and benefits.
Corporate Culture at RubrYc
We are a small venture-backed startup. The company environment is friendly and informal, and non-hierarchical. Our corporate culture is rigorous science and innovation, and we believe in continuous growth and learning. We strive for excellence in performance and quality of work, and at the same time, we believe in maintaining a healthy work/life balance.
If you are interested in this opportunity, please send a copy of your resume to email@example.com